The Best FREE Apps To Save Time & Money While Traveling
Co-Contributor: Melissa Kahan
You called your cell carrier to update your phone plan to get the most data while traveling abroad, but how else can you get the most out of your trip to save even more time and money? Luckily, there are a plethora of free apps that hone in on what you might need during your travels, whether that may be grabbing a bus to get downtown or saving your day’s map to access offline.
To help you prepare for your next trip, we’ve put together a list of FREE travel apps you may want to download. These are just the tip of the iceberg!
To figure out what to wear each day:
· Although Packpoint is more for pre-trip planning, it is your one-stop shop. Not only does it check on the weather for the number of days and locations of your trip, it also asks you to select the types of activities you plan to do and suggests what to pack and how much of each item.
To keep up-to-date with your flight information:
· App in the Air lets you see real-time updates to your flights and how to navigate the airport. The best part: You can use it offline.
To communicate with people back home:
· Skype, Viber, and WhatsApp are the three tried-and-true apps for communicating back to the states if you don’t want to add additional minutes of data on your phone while you travel abroad. You can “facetime,” text and call any contacts on your phone using Wi-Fi.
To communicate with locals:
· Duolingo is for the traveler who truly wants to learn the language. Download this app prior to your stay and take some basic “courses” to improve your fluency or just become comfortable with some most-used phrases or languages, such as Spanish or French.
To find public transportation:
· CityMapper helps navigate a city’s transportation options, from public lines to ride-sharing. You can customize what types of transportation you want to use, including bus and subway. You can subscribe to them and receive alerts when you need to get off at your stop.
To determine the currency exchange rates:
· XE Currency gives you real-time updates for currency rates wherever you’re traveling. Want to go offline? You can store the most current exchange rates and access them offline anytime.
To coordinate your stay:
· Google Trips is excellent at keeping you on track day-to-day, as the app will pull your car, hotel, and airline reservations from your email. It also lets you see popular places to eat and things to do in each location you’re traveling.
To find the hottest spots for dining and entertainment:
To keep track of your expenses:
· Expensify helps you keep track of the receipts from your business trip in one place. You input the expense information manually or take a picture of each receipt. It’ll generate a comprehensive list of all your itemized expenses.
As the busy holiday travel season approaches, be sure to prep and plan ahead with these apps. Bon voyage!
Start building the life you’ve always wanted.
This data is for informational purposes only and Capital Benchmark Partners, LLC ("CBP") is not affiliated with any of the businesses mentioned nor endorses them. CBP is not endorsed by any third party entities for their inclusion in this article nor is compensated for mentioning them. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable but the accuracy of the information cannot be guaranteed.
© 2017 Capital Benchmark Partners, LLC. All rights reserved.